Total Pageviews

March 21, 2007

Mashed Cauliflower, a Low carb option





I don't claim that I have started on a low-carb diet, but sometimes I do like to have them specially when I am sharing the plate with my 10 month baby! She loves mashed potatoes like anything. Thought of experimenting on her with cauliflower, guess she loved it even more!! I like the texture of it as its more smashed than mashed. I boil the whole head of the cauliflower in water that makes it less soggy.
I played around with the basic recipe as per my taste. I added lots of scallions and red bell peppers to it. Also by adding garlic powder I don't even feel like I am missing on potatoes!!

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 head cauliflower, leaves removed
  • 2 Tablespoons (or more) unsalted butter
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • a good pinch of garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup scallions, only greens
  • 1/4 cup diced red bell peppers
  • 1/4 heavy cream
  • 1 Tbsp sour cream
  • 1/4 hot sauce
  • 1/4 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
You can cook the cauliflower by either boiling it in water or in the microwave.

1. To boil: Separate the cauliflower into florets. Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add the whole head of cauliflower and cover and cook about 12 minutes or until fork tender.To microwave: Completely remove the leaves and trim the stem. Rinse and wrap in plastic wrap. Microwave for about 10 minutes or until soft.
2.Smash the cauliflower with a fork and add the above ingredients. You are free to cut on butter and replace it by EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil).
3. Sprinkle with extra scallions and peppers . Adding cheddar cheese and Parmesan in optional but I don't skip on Parmesan at all!! serve as a side with chicken..

1 comment:

Coffee said...

WOW!!! How did you know I was on a diet ;)

Great variation to mashed potatoes!!!!

Thanks dear. :)