When we talk about savory cakes , its very hard to think something that might stand out.. First I thought of making cake with roasted vegetable layer filled with gelatin soup. But then it was lot of work for me. So when I was searching for some shortcuts, this recipe rescued me.
Its rather a splashy entree for luncheon or a buffet supper. It is a traditional dish in the Middles west and the West, where the tendency to be fancy with the dishes is prevalent. When I saw the recipe in my very old cookbook ,given to me by aunt, I thought that its just another bland dish. Any how I had to try it out and the roundup was near. I got all the ingredients and rolled mt sleeves up for and adventure. Yeah, cake of chicken!! Original recipe calls for tongue(lamb) to be blended with the dark meat. But I skipped and rather added my original twist to it, Ooh ya...lots of extra sharp cheddar and hot jalapeno peppers. It surprisingly turned out to be very good.
2 Poached Chickens of up to 4 pounds
1/2 cup pecans
1 jalapeno pepper
1 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
5 water chestnuts
4 eggs , separated and beaten
1 cup light cream
1 pound mushrooms sauteed in 3 tbsp each of butter and oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced finely
3 tbsp butter 3 tbsp flour
1 cup full flavoured chicken broth
1/2 cup cream
salt and pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp curry powder or "garam masala"
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/3 cup Madeira
Extra: 8 cup ring mould or even bundt pan will do
Homemade Chicken Broth: residue of poached chicken
- Always start with a cold liquid. Starting with hot liquid will cause proteins in the meat to coagulate and starches in the vegetable to gelatinize too quickly, which will reduce the flavour. Generally chicken broth take 2-3 hours to get cooked properly. Place the chicken and water in a large pot, enough water to cover the chicken.
- Bring water to a boil , skim any foam from the surface. Adjust the heat to simmer.
- Add onions, celery ,carrots, parsnip ,whole black peppercorn , 4 parsley stems, 2 bay leaves, and coarse sea salt.
- Cover partially and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from the liquid and let it cool. Dice or shred the meat. Discard the skin and the bone.
- Strain the broth through a fine sieve and discard the solids.
- Separate dark meat (meat from thighs and legs) and white meat ( meat from breast).
- Grind dark meat with pecans and water chestnuts.
- Add beaten egg yolks and light cream , and blend well. Add finely diced pepper and cheese.
- Fold in the whites, beaten until stiff but not dry, they should hold firm peaks.
- Butter ring mold well and pour the mixture into the mold.
Set ring mold in a pan of hot water and bake at 350 degrees approx. for 45 minutes, or until puffy and rather firm to touch.
- While the ring is baking, saute a mushrooms and onions in butter and oil, and cut the White meat of the chicken into cubes.
- Prepare the Sauce: Melt the butter over medium heat, blend in flour, and cook a minute or two . Add the broth , stir until nicely thickened, then add the cream. Add all other dry spices.Combine with chicken white meat and mushrooms, correct the seasoning , add Madeira, and cook for few more minutes.
- To Serve: Invert the ring on a platter, fill the center with chicken-mushroom mixture and garnish with chopped Parsley. I served it on a bed of rice sauteed with green peas and corn and drizzled it with hot sauce and pickeled peppers. On side goes veggie crisp of tomato and spinach. Other variation:: Served with Saffron rice and watermelon pickle.
We are just two of us, so had lots of leftover. I tried to be even more creative the next day. I cut my cake into huge cubes and refried them in canola oil to very crisp. Along side I made some salad and had Pudina Chutney for dipping. It tasted very good..just like fried Paneer.....non vegetarian though!!