Ingredients:
For Sweet Filling:
2 cups Bengal Gram Dal (Chana Dal)
2 cups grated Jaggery
1 tsp powdered Cardamom
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
few strands of saffron
For Dough
1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour (maida)
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup oil
and water as required
Procedure:
Make a soft dough with flour , oil ,salt and water. Cover with damp cloth and keep aside. Boil Bengal gram in plenty of water until tender. Drain the water and return it back to the stove .Add cardamom powder, nutmeg powder, and jaggery to it. Cook over medium heat until the jaggery melts. Stir it o make sure that it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook until the mixture leaves the side of the vessel.
Remove from heat and grind it in a mixer or blender. Add saffron and "Puran " is ready.
Make round balls (about 2 inch. diameter) of this dough. Roll one ball a little bit and make a flat disc. Place some puran (about twice the quantity of outer dough) in the center of this flat disc.Seal the ball tightly. Roll again to make thin puran polis of 6 to 7 inch. diameter. Use flour for smooth rolling. Heat a flat griddle. On a medium flame, roast one side. Flip it and roast another side. Do not flip the sides over and over. Roast till golden brown.
Serve with Pure Ghee (clarified butter) smeared on top. I love to eat it with Instant homemade punjabi pickle( a trick I picked from eating at Gurudwara Langar) and mint yogurt.
2 comments:
Eternal fav of all Indians!!YUMMY!!:)
I love puran poli with pickles too! just something about that sweet taste of the puran with the khatta-meetha pickle...I love it.
Your recipe is nice with Chana daal...we gujjus often use toor daal.I like them both though. ;)
Post a Comment